David Tennant will return to the stage for the Royal Shakespeare Company
later this year in the title role of Richard II.
The announcement was made by the company’s new Artistic Director,
Gregory Doran, at a press conference held in London.
The play will open at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon
on 10th October 2013 and will run untill 16th November 2013. It will then transfer to the Barbican Theatre in London from
December 9th 2013 until 25th January 2014.
Running time approx 3 hours with interval.
Gregory Doran will direct the production.
Speaking about his return to work with Gregory Doran David said: "Greg
is steeped in Shakespeare...to work on those plays with someone who has the breadth of knowledge and experience, the instinctive
understanding of what those plays are and what they can be is really optimum for me. You feel secure in that he will know
the subject inside out and also secure that he'll be inspiring and instictive and rather surprising"
Of the role of King Richard he adds: "He's not a hero at all. He's
quite a complicated character. So I'm daunted by the prospect of doing it justice but very excited to get a chance"
Priority Booking for Stratford Upon Avon:
- Shakespeare's Circle - Thursday 7th February
- Full Members (web booking) - Monday 11th February
- Full Members (phone booking) - Wednesday 13th
- February Associate Members - Monday 4th March
- Public booking is from Monday 18th March
Richard II transfers from Stratford-upon-Avon to the Barbican Theatre
in London from 9th December 2013.
Booking details for The Barbican dates are as follows:
- Barbican Red and RSC members - Thursday 7th March
- Barbican Orange members - Wednesday 13th March
- General public and Barbican Yellow members - Monday 18th